My Qualifications • I have gone through labor myself three times, and worked with
over 800 families in their labor process. My life lends
itself to being available for your needs. I have many years of experience with birth balls and provide instruction to my clients on their use. I strongly encourage the use of a birth ball both during pregnancy, to assist in preparing for labor, and during labor as a tool to assist in relaxation and management of discomfort. I do light massage on occasion in labor to
provide comfort. I have worked with couples through almost
any situation in labor and pregnancy so I have a high comfort
level with the process. It is a
to work with families through their labors. I especially love
to work with dads through birth, since they are able to give
so much that I can't (that strong emotional support women
need). Labor is really a team effort by those providing the
support. As a doula, I realize my place, and it’s not
to be in charge (unless that is the wish of the mom-to-be).
A Moment In My Life
By Cyndi Whitwell
Dawn was peeking between the blinds.
How long has it been since I have slept?
Hours, days? No time to think,
Mom is moaning again — give her support,
Encouraging voice in her ear.
The pattern of breathing slowing
as the contraction ebbs.
But the sounds have changed.
Mom is disturbed by the pressure.
Reassure her again — this is normal.
Positions are changed, ice is offered.
The power of pressure builds.
Sounds are different in the room,
More activity is felt
But we are locked in the rhythm of the dance,
Moving ever onward to the feelings.
Suddenly a baby's voice is heard
Above the tears of mom & dad.
Fear & pain have changed to joy outcries.
Another birth, another lost night's sleep,
Another memory to validate
My desire to be a doula.
Published in International Doula, 2000
Media Outreach • My goal has been to answer the question: "A doula, what
is that?" So I have been fortunate to work through the
local media in promoting doulas.
• Online professional summary/listing and rating as top-rated birth doula at Thumbtack.com
• Quoted in online article in Sacramento Parent,
12/2011, entitled "Labor Goals: The New Birth Plan"
• I contributed to a magazine article by Lori Shinn, 1/08 called "The Doula Difference".
• Article in Internation Doula, 2003, "Working With First Time Families".
• Poem "A Moment in My Life" published in Fall,
2000 issue International Doula (see left).
• Channel 3 segment on Healthwatch with Dr. Tom Hopkins
on doulas, 11/2000.
• Contributed to a book on birth balls published by Polly
Perez, 2000; Contributed to an e-book by Rachel Gurevich
called "How To Be A Doula", distributed 2000.
• Letters To The Editor in Salon.com (12/15/99) regarding
an article on doulas that had appeared the week before.
• Group segment in 11/97 on Channel 13 with Marcia Valenzuela
discussing doulas and our doula collective. Article in Viewpoint about my work as a doula in l997.
• Segment on For Baby's Sake with Cristina Mendonza in 8/97.
She followed me with a birth and conducted a followup interview
with the couple.
• Interview with Alicia Malaby on Channel 3, 11/96, discussing
end of Kaiser Study and the benefits of doulas.
• Front page article was published in the Sacramento Bee,
3/15/96, entitled "Doula Delivers", discussing the Doula Study
at Kaiser and accompanying me on a birth.